Fruitcake always looked so festive to me but I did not like the hard citron fruit so I came up with my own recipe using dried fruits and nuts. I place these in Christmas themed petit fours paper cups and give them to neighbors and friends along with the many other cookies and candies I bake. These keep well in the freezer in an airtight container. Just thaw to room temperature and they taste fresh baked and moist. —Lisa McDermith, Highland, California
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dates
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green candied cherries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red candied cherries
- 3/4 cup finely chopped candied pineapple
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat over to 350°. In a small saucepan, heat sherry, sugar and margarine until sugar is dissolved. Cool. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. In another bowl, beat egg and vanilla; stir into cooled sherry mixture until thoroughly combined. Add sherry mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- In a large bowl, toss fruits and nuts to combine. Stir in batter. Fill 30 greased mini muffin cups with 1 tablespoon of mixture. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool in pan 3-4 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 mini fruitcake: 93 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Mini Fruitcakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Dec 23, 2018
Is it okay to use cooking sherry(Not vinegar)? Not sure because of salt content.
Dec 13, 2018
Since I don't like pineapple, how can I substitute something else in the recipe?