Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 9 tablespoons milk, divided
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon light corn syrup, divided
- Orange and black paste or gel food coloring
- Grease two 13x9-in. baking pans; line with parchment paper and set aside. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Using parchment paper, remove cakes from pans and invert onto wire racks; carefully peel off parchment paper. Cool completely.
- Cut one cake into pumpkin shapes and the second cake into ghost shapes using 3-in. cookie cutters dipped in confectioners' sugar. Carefully arrange individual cakes on wire racks over waxed paper.
- For icing, in each of two large bowls, combine 4 cups confectioners' sugar, 4 tablespoons milk and 2 tablespoons corn syrup until smooth. Tint icing in one bowl orange. Place orange icing in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe over top of pumpkin shapes, allowing icing to drape over cake sides. Repeat with white icing and ghost cakes. Let stand for 30 minutes or until icing is set and dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining confectioners' sugar, milk and corn syrup until smooth. Tint black. Pipe faces onto pumpkin and ghost cakes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 24, 2014
These look absolutely delicious and just like the ones we buy at the grocery store, just have to add a cream filling . I haven't made them yet but think they would be great for my son's kindergarten fall festival. My only fear is that it contains too much sugar. Anyone that has done this, any tweaks to maybe reduce that amount, a substitute? Tyia..
Oct 10, 2012
I'm going to make these for my 6 grand kids for Halloween
Oct 31, 2010
I'm having trouble with the icing I don;t think it's as runny as it should be.