Peanut Butter Chocolate Poke Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- TOPPINGS: chopped peanut butter-filled sandwich cookies or peanut butter cups or a combination of the two
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, adding 1 teaspoon vanilla and salt before mixing batter. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake and cool completely as package directs.
- Whisk peanut butter and milk until blended. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, poke holes in cake 2 in. apart. Slowly pour 2 cups peanut butter mixture over cake, filling each hole. Refrigerate cake and remaining peanut butter mixture, covered, until cake is cold, 2-3 hours.
- Combine remaining vanilla and remaining peanut butter mixture; gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to reach a spreading consistency. Spread over cake. Add toppings as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 360 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Oct 2, 2017
I loved this recipe! This is my first time trying a poke cake, but it certainly won't be my last! Initially the icing is runny, but it's so it absorbs into the cake. If you put the remaining icing in the fridge like the directions say, it's the perfect spreading consistency. The overall taste was delicious! I if you like chocolate and peanut butter, this recipe is for you!
Sep 19, 2017
I made this tonight, and everyone was quite pleased. cakes typically do soak up what's being poured on top. Crazy. I know. And... it just gets better as it sits covered in fridge. Very good.
Sep 11, 2017
Deserves a negative rating. Everything about it was horrible. Chilling the cake & frosting was a big mistake which caused the cake to soak up everything and become gummy, heavy and disgustingly thick. Ours is in the garbage after one piece (not eaten). Don't make this! Awful, horrid, disgusting.
Sep 11, 2017
This did not turn out well. The frosting mixture all ran off the cake and was unattractive. And the cake with the peanut butter mixture and frosting tasted like eating liquid sugar.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.