Peanut Butter Chocolate Poke Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- TOPPINGS: chopped peanut butter-filled sandwich cookies or peanut butter cups or a combination of the two
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, adding 1 teaspoon vanilla and salt before mixing batter. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake and cool completely as package directs.
- Whisk peanut butter and milk until blended. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, poke holes in cake 2 in. apart. Slowly pour 2 cups peanut butter mixture over cake, filling each hole. Refrigerate cake and remaining peanut butter mixture, covered, until cake is cold, 2-3 hours.
- Combine remaining vanilla and remaining peanut butter mixture; gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to reach a spreading consistency. Spread over cake. Add toppings as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 360 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 27, 2020
This cake is great for those who love peanut butter and chocolate! Made it for a bunch of teenage girls' sleepover and it didn't make it until the morning! Couple of the girls asked for me to print it out for their Moms! Very easy!
Apr 15, 2019
This is the BEST cake for peanut butter lovers! I used a large wooden spoon to make holes and they were ugly! The frosting didnt even cover the messy look. I was embarassed to take the cake to my luncheon but i put a dollop of cool whip on top of each piece an after a taste no one cared! I'm not a real peanut butter fan and i liked it! I am making it again for Easter dinner. Everyone who tastes iT wants the receipe. I had no problems with the cake except my stupidity in using such a big spoon...tho that hole did soak up allot of the peanut butter mix!
Mar 19, 2019
This cake turned out to be a big hit! Because I started making it so late in the day, I put the cake and the frosting mixture in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning I just put the frosting in the microwave for about 20 seconds to soften it. The only thing that I did different is that I only used about one cup instead of 2 cups of the peanut butter mixture because I thought it might be too much. Therefore I would probably make half of the mixture the next time since I threw alot of it away. Again this tastes fantastic! Will make again!
Jan 23, 2019
This cake is fantastic! Made the nutella version and made my own chocolate cake recipe rather than a box mix. Next time I would make the frosting for the top a little differently to thicken it up, but it was really really tasty!
Oct 2, 2017
I loved this recipe! This is my first time trying a poke cake, but it certainly won't be my last! Initially the icing is runny, but it's so it absorbs into the cake. If you put the remaining icing in the fridge like the directions say, it's the perfect spreading consistency. The overall taste was delicious! I if you like chocolate and peanut butter, this recipe is for you!
Sep 19, 2017
I made this tonight, and everyone was quite pleased. cakes typically do soak up what's being poured on top. Crazy. I know. And... it just gets better as it sits covered in fridge. Very good.
Sep 11, 2017
Deserves a negative rating. Everything about it was horrible. Chilling the cake & frosting was a big mistake which caused the cake to soak up everything and become gummy, heavy and disgustingly thick. Ours is in the garbage after one piece (not eaten). Don't make this! Awful, horrid, disgusting.
Sep 11, 2017
This did not turn out well. The frosting mixture all ran off the cake and was unattractive. And the cake with the peanut butter mixture and frosting tasted like eating liquid sugar.