Mini Pumpkin Cakes
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- Red and yellow food coloring
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Green food coloring
- 4 Tootsie Rolls (2-1/4 ounces and 6 inches each), cut into 2-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in walnuts. Spoon by 1/2 cupfuls into 12 greased miniature fluted tube pans. Bake at 350° until set, about 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, water and maple flavoring until smooth; tint orange with red and yellow food coloring. Place wire racks with cakes over waxed paper. Spoon half of the glaze evenly over tops and sides of cakes, letting excess drip off. Let stand until glaze is set. Repeat with remaining glaze.
- In a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar and water until smooth; tint green. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #4 round pastry tip. Fill bag with green frosting. Pipe vines on the pumpkins. For stem, insert a Tootsie Roll piece in the center of each pumpkin.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 each: 813 calories, 21g fat (4g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 481mg sodium, 152g carbohydrate (127g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Oct 10, 2017
I would say it’s the old (larger weight). The recipe was originally published in 2007.
Oct 10, 2017
Cake mix weights have changed. It would help to know if this recipe is meant for the old weights or the new ones.thanks!
Nov 13, 2012
These are delicious! I added 1/2 c. raisins and 1/2 c. chopped pecans in place of walnuts. I baked them in regular sized muffin pans and had enough batter for one and a half dozen. For the glaze, I poured about two tablespoons of maple syrup into a half container of pre-made vanilla frosting. Easy and delicious! A big hit!
Oct 30, 2010
We omitted the walnuts because it was going to school but it was devoured by one and all.
Oct 27, 2009
Made this to use my new mini bundt pan and they turned out fantastic. Took them to work and everyone loved them.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.