Purple-Ribbon Pumpkin Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chopped pecans, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin, sugar, eggs and oil until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt, ginger and nutmeg; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cake; garnish with pecan if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 535 calories, 25g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 22, 2017
Everyone loved this cake!
Dec 7, 2015
Excellent Recipe..My 15 yr old Granddaughter is an expert with this recipe. Family favorite.
Oct 2, 2015
This is the ONLY pumpkin cake recipe I use. I get requests for it all the time. In fact I'm making it for church tomorrow right now!
Apr 18, 2015
My family and friends love it!!
Nov 17, 2014
Easy, yummy, and great texture. A do over! The only substitution I used, 3 Teaspoons pumpkin pie spice rather then the spices listed. It gave it a very good pumpkin flavor!
Nov 28, 2013
The best pumpkin cake ever!
Nov 20, 2012
Has more of a spice cake taste, would have liked more of a pumpkin flavor but it is an excellent cake.
Oct 20, 2011
My family loved it and I am making it the second time in 1 week for extended family.
Mar 20, 2011
i added 1 tea of pumpkin spice as well and it is my preachers favorite-- i would make it all of the time if i can only keep pumpkin on hand
Oct 30, 2009
Will definitely make this for Thanksgiving. Very tasty and simple.