Apple-Pumpkin Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup softened butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 medium apples (about 10 ounces), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. In a microwave, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; spread mixture into a 9-in. pie plate. Arrange apples in a single layer over butter mixture.
- Cream remaining butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and remaining cinnamon; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread batter evenly over apples. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Loosen sides of cake from pie plate with a knife. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm and, if desired, with vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 278 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 8, 2017
Great recipe! I made this for Thanksgiving and it was perfect!
Oct 24, 2017
I tried this recipe yesterday for my son who loves pumpkin. I followed the recipe exactly how it is and it came out great. My son loved it. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Sep 25, 2017
I thought this need a little bit more flavor to it.