Apple-Pumpkin Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup softened butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 medium apples (about 10 ounces), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. In a microwave, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; spread mixture into a 9-in. pie plate. Arrange apples in a single layer over butter mixture.
- Cream remaining butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and remaining cinnamon; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread batter evenly over apples. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Loosen sides of cake from pie plate with a knife. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm and, if desired, with vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 278 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 17, 2020
My actual preparation of these cakes was 10/14/2017. I got 3 cakes out of 2 batches of batter. I'd used 3 foil 9" pie plates; recipe prepared as given and cooled 5 minutes in pie plates; the cakes turned out easily onto a serving plate!
Dec 8, 2017
Great recipe! I made this for Thanksgiving and it was perfect!
Oct 24, 2017
I tried this recipe yesterday for my son who loves pumpkin. I followed the recipe exactly how it is and it came out great. My son loved it. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Sep 25, 2017
I thought this need a little bit more flavor to it.