Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1-1/2 cups chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-in. square baking pan with heavy-duty foil; grease foil. In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in bourbon. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with candied fruit.
- In a large bowl, cream softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Stir in pecans.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls over fruit; spread carefully. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate; remove foil. Serve warm.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 521 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 81g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 9, 2019
I am not a fan of fruitcake at all, but decided to try this recipe because the picture was so beautiful. It was such a festive dessert to display after Christmas dinner. My husband and daughter absolutely loved it. I really liked the cake as it was similar to moist gingerbread cake, but I still am not a fan of the candied fruit. My family was more than happy to let me share the fruit on my slice with them.