Apple Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon apple brandy or rum, optional
- Pour butter into an ungreased 9-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar. Arrange apples in a single layer over brown sugar; layer with walnuts and remaining brown sugar.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and sour cream, beating well after each addition. Beat in brandy if desired.
- Spoon batter over brown sugar layer. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 444 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 25, 2017
I made this delicious cake and served it as a coffee cake but it would make a wonderful dessert, too. We shared it with our neighbors and they raved about it. I followed the directions to the letter and it was delicious. I used an 8-inch cast iron skillet only because I didn't have a 7-inch skillet and it worked beautifully. It cooked for 25 minutes and was done to a turn. This recipe is a definite keeper and I will prepare it again. This would be great to serve guests who spend the night. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor
Dec 24, 2016
i needed the butter to sugar rates for this size cake. i will do this using a gingerbread cake mix. but, i have only 1 large granny smith..
Sep 5, 2015
I really liked this cake. It did require an extra 5 minutes of baking time, and I have an oven thermometer in there, so I know my oven is accurate. I may try it with just 2 apples next time, because the apples were kind of all over the place when I inverted it. The flavor was really delicious, and it was very easy.
Oct 29, 2013
made this today and it turned out great ! made it exactly except omitted the brandy didn't have any. and baked it a little longer. it is a keeper!
Nov 22, 2011
Love this recipe! The cake has an amazing homemade flavor and the apples with brown sugar make a wonderful topping.
Nov 21, 2011
This was the worst cake I have ever made. My advice to you: "Never make it." "Ever". When I tried to cream the butter and sugar, it did not come out light and fluffy, probably because the submitter forgot how much sugar was really supposed to go in the recipe. There was not enough flour in it. I followed the recipe exactly and after baking it the exact time it told me to, I took it out, cooled it and attempted to dump in on a plate. The batter oozed out in streams and the apples dumped with it. I tried to bake it twice as long and it came out brown and wet. Never try this. I wasted an entire night and tons of ingredients.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.