Sweet Cherry Upside-Down Cake
This cherry upside-down cake is a summer staple in our house, and it's always welcomed at neighborhood and family barbecues. It's best served warm with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top. —Nicole Nutter, Prosser, Washington
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 pound fresh dark sweet cherries, pitted and halved (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place butter in a 13x9-in. baking pan; heat in oven until butter is melted, 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from oven; tilt carefully to coat bottom and sides with butter. Immediately sprinkle with 3/4 cup sugar. Arrange cherries in a single layer over sugar, cut side down.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and remaining 1-1/2 cups sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Batter may appear curdled. Spoon over cherries.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 266 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.