Cherry Upside-Down Bread Pudding
I've always loved bread pudding, and I enjoy fixing this for my family on a chilly day. You could use a different flavor of pie filling and omit the chocolate chips to make a completely different dessert. It's always delicious! —Ronna Farley, Rockville, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) sliced white bread
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Place bread on ungreased baking sheets. Broil each pan 3-4 in. from heat until golden brown, 1-2 minutes on each side; let cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Spoon pie filling into a greased 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk, cinnamon and vanilla (mixture may appear curdled). Gently stir in chocolate chips and bread cubes; let stand until bread is softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 2-3/4-3-1/4 hours. Serve warm, with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 393 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Up-Side-Down Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding in Simple & Delicious October/November 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.