Apricot Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) apricot halves
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Drain apricots, reserving 3 tablespoons syrup (discard remaining syrup); set aside.
- Place butter in a 9-in. square baking dish. Place in oven 3-4 minutes or until butter is melted; swirl carefully to coat evenly. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange apricot halves in a single layer over brown sugar, cut side up.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in reserved apricot syrup. Fold in flour mixture.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Spoon over apricots. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 272 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 18, 2015
This was easy, but we thought it was rather bland. I made the recipe exactly as written.
Apr 14, 2011
This cake was very good however, I was able to get 16 servings using the apricot as a guide for portions.