Blueberry-Lemon Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 4 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer blueberries, sugar and marshmallows. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, adding lemon zest before mixing batter; pour over marshmallows.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with whipped topping.
Not sure which brand of cake mix to buy? Check out the brands our editors and the Taste of Home Test Kitchen recommend.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without whipped topping): 313 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 6, 2019
This cake was really bad. The bottom was really mushy and I don't believe it needs the marshmallows, it makes it REALLY sweet. The box cake gives it an after taste.
Nov 11, 2017
want more lemon .... use a lemon cake mix instead of yellow ... just saying!Sounds interesting and I might make one day...
Jun 1, 2016
It was a good dessert, just not lemony enough for me. I will make it again but with a few alterations. Super easy to make, but I found it lacking in lemon flavor even after doubling the grated lemon peel. Next time I will try adding some lemon juice to the blueberries to give them a kick and use parchment paper on the bottom of the pan since some of the blueberries remained in the pan. Not a big deal though, they were easy to scoop up and put back on the top. I used real whipped cream for the topping.
Jul 19, 2015
Very tasty and easy! I only used about 1/4 cup of sugar and it was still plenty sweet for us, especially with the whipped topping. Next time I will probably add some more lemon peel. Thanks for the recipe!