Blueberry Upside-Down Skillet Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Optional toppings: vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and toasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, melt cubed butter over medium-low heat; stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in orange juice; sprinkle with blueberries.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, melted butter and extract until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Pour over blueberries.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Top as desired.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without whipped cream): 454 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 14, 2015
Quick, easy and very tastey. I added more blueberries to the pan.Will definately make it again.
Mar 20, 2015
This cake tested done, and it looked done; however, it had the texture of a cake not quite done. I followed the recipe with the exception of cutting the brown sugar in half. It was okay, but I will not make it again.
Feb 24, 2015
Delicious! My kids and husband loved it, even the blueberry hater. I cut the amount of butter and sugar in the topping by half and it was perfect.
Oct 6, 2014
This sounds tasty!
Mar 7, 2014
Delicious! Absolutely Delicious! I did not have orange juice, so I made a little mixture of lemon juice, water, and sugar. I also cut the butter in the batter to 1/4 cup, and added 1/3 cup of sour cream to make sure it stayed nice and moist. I had to walk away from this dessert. Too Good!
Feb 1, 2014
Thank you for publishing my recipe! Nettie from Moore or Less Cooking, http://mooreorlesscooking.com, one of my favorite blueberry cakes!!!