Cranberry Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple, drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and butter; spread onto the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Top with pineapple slices. Place a whole cranberry in the center of each pineapple; sprinkle remaining cranberries around pineapple.
- For cake, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in cranberries; spoon over pineapple.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm; if desired, top with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 402 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 19, 2016
I prepared the recipe exactly as written. It was awesome! The flavors blended together wonderfully. The halved cranberries provided the perfect mix of tartness in the superb batter. The entire family loved it, and we will be making it again soon. Wouldn't change a thing!
Feb 20, 2016
Wish I could rate more than 5 stars. Really great cake, have been making a similar version for years. Just for fun, try adding a little orange extract to the batter. Seems there can be no more delightful flavor than orange pineapple cranberry! You can also use a boxed cake mix and just add the extracts of pineapple and orange along with the cranberries and some of the spices. You just can't go wrong with this cake.
Jul 7, 2015
i am baking this now, I substituted the cranberries for peaches, so... smells delicious
Jun 6, 2014
YUMMY! I halved the recipe with no problem. We didn't have pineapple slices on hand, so I used tidbits, and we actually liked the way they were dispersed throughout. I also just used 1 less TB of butter in the cake, and it was no problem. We loved it!
Jan 11, 2014
I made this recipe fir the first time and used my upside-down cake pan from Country Store and an 8x8x2" square pan. NOTE: I did make adjustments on this recipe by adding 1 Tbsp. ground orange to the batter and for the cake, I used 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening! For me, this worked out so that way I can also conserve on my butter supply! I also used 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour when folding the 1 cup of cranberries (I left the berries WHOLE) into the batter. I also used 6-oz. plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream since I had it available! I also left the berries whole when putting the berries in center of each pineapple slice and around the slices. I had enough batter for 2 cakes instead of a 13x9x2" size cake. What I did was use 1 large peeled and sliced APPLE in the 8x8x2" baking pan, and then sprinkled about 3/4 cup berries around the APPLE slices in the 8x8x2" pan. I also greased and floured BOTH the pans. For me, it was much easier to remove the cakes from the pans! I baked both cakes on baking sheets for 45 minutes and tested with a cake tester. The cakes tested done at 45 minutes. I admit that I'd inverted the cakes right away onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets. For me, I'll make a point to discern this when taking out an upside-down cake to cool! The cakes both looked lovely! I'll give one to friends and take one to our Chapel tomorrow! Thank you, Sherry Conley, for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! I'll have to stock up on more cranberries when the season comes again! This recipe certainly will be one to prepare again! delowenstein
Nov 15, 2013
Delicious! I love a cake with sour cream in the batter! In the cake portion, to cut back on the amount of butter...I did substitute 1/2 cup of applesauce for 1/2 of the butter. I didn't have allspice, so I used 1/2 t of cloves, and 1/2 t of ginger in it's place.A great recipe to add to your list of holiday desserts!!!!! Thanks for sharing!
Nov 3, 2013
Delicious! Wonderful flavor! I don't think that you need to go to the trouble of halving the cranberries for the cake. Next time, I'll try adding pecans to the topping for a bit of crunch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.