Classic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 maraschino cherries
- Whipped topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan, combine butter and brown sugar. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange 9 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate any remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to batter, beating well.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice. If desired, serve with whipped topping.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 361 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 8, 2019
While I have NOT made it yet I question this. What do y'all think about using canned (hopefully use some paper towel to dry it out but add some crushed pineapple) to add more pineapple-y flavor to add to it)?
Sep 3, 2019
Great recipe! I made it twice this weekend in a cast iron pan. Lowered to temperature to 350 degrees for 35 minutes. They came out perfect. The secret to moistness is to whip the egg whites until they are stiff and fold them in as the recipe suggests. Definitely a winner!
Jul 23, 2019
Should be made in cast iron skillet and leave out pecans they don’t really add anything. Original recipe much better and many are making it this way for probably for years and years!
Jul 23, 2019
Great recipe! It’s good to see an actual “homemade” recipe that didn’t call for a boxed cake mix, yuck, which istn’t homemade!
Jun 1, 2019
Didn’t turn out well at all! I’ll stick to my old fashioned recipe that’s always great!.
Apr 21, 2018
I followed this almost exactly except I used crushed pineapple. Served with homemade whipped cream but was good without as well. Everyone really enjoyed!
Apr 11, 2018
Family Favorite Desserts We Added Jello & Whip Cream & Many Times We Used Fruit Cocktail & Bananas or Pudding
Oct 21, 2017
I did not enjoy this recipe...too dry. It's definitely not like my mom made!
Oct 19, 2017
Have any of you tried baking this in a cast iron skillet? How long? I believe this is how people originally made it.
Oct 15, 2017
My son always asks for pineapple upside down cake for his birthday and this is a delicious recipe. The only changes I made were to use crushed pineapple instead of the pineapple slices and I did not use the pecans as he does not like nuts of any kind.