Pineapple Upside-Down Muffins
For a modern version of upside-down cake, we use pineapple and a sweet batter to make fun muffins with a cherry on top. —Suzeanne Longwill, Ortonville, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen mini muffins or 10 regular muffins
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar
- 18 to 20 maraschino cherries, halved
- Preheat oven to 400°. Drain pineapple, reserving 1 tablespoon juice. Set pineapple aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, oil and reserved pineapple juice. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in reserved pineapple.
- Fill greased mini-muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle tops with brown sugar; top with halved cherries.
- Bake 9-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Editor's Note: If using regular-size muffin cups, reduce maraschino cherries to five and bake for 12-16 minutes.
Originally published as Pineapple Upside-Down Muffins in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.