Pineapple Upside-Down Muffin Cakes
A friend submitted this recipe to a cookbook our school district was compiling. The first time I made them, the whole family declared the recipe a winner. Delicious and healthy to boot, they remain favorites to this day. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar or 3 tablespoons brown sugar substitute blend
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 canned pineapple slices
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free lemon or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Mix brown sugar and melted butter; divide among prepared cups. Quarter each pineapple slice; place one piece in each cup.
- For cakes, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with yogurt and milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 12-15 minutes. Cool in pan 2 minutes; invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin cake: 177 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Light and Luscious Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.