Pineapple Upside-Down Muffin Cakes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar or 3 tablespoons brown sugar substitute blend
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 canned pineapple slices
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free lemon or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Mix brown sugar and melted butter; divide among prepared cups. Quarter each pineapple slice; place one piece in each cup.
- For cakes, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with yogurt and milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 12-15 minutes. Cool in pan 2 minutes; invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin cake: 177 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Sep 3, 2019
Very good recipe. I made this in mini pans as I wanted them small for a brunch I had . I used canned "tidbit" pineapple and saved a step of cutting pieces small enough to fit smaller pan. I also cut up several maraschino cherries and threw a couple pieces in each cup. It gave them a nice pop of color on the serving tray. I received many compliments on this particular dessert and was glad I had decided to try it out.