Pineapple Upside-Down Dump Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours + standing
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 jar (6 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a microwave, melt 1/2 cup butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread evenly onto bottom of a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with cherries and pecans; top with pineapple. Sprinkle evenly with dry cake mix. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over top.
- Cook, covered, on high until fruit mixture is bubbly, about 2 hours. (To avoid scorching, rotate slow cooker insert one-half turn midway through cooking, lifting carefully with oven mitts.)
- Turn off slow cooker; let stand, uncovered, 30 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with ice cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 455 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 3, 2019
Would make this in the oven. Seems easier to me. Probably would have to increase final butter drizzle to at least 1/2cup to get yummy top crust like dump cakes always have.
Mar 22, 2018
I love dump cakes and have never tried making one in my slow cooker before. I can't believe how delicious and perfect this came out. An easy recipe just got easier.
Feb 15, 2018
Because I forgot this was a slow cooker recipe, I had to nix that because of time. What I did instead was to use ramekins which worked out perfectly because family does not like maraschino cherries . Using ramekins one can add/subtract ingredients per each person't likes/dislikes. Great recipe. Will be making this again.