Campfire Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
We make this fun pineapple upside-down cake recipe while camping or in the backyard around a fire. It’s very yummy, but the sandwich iron should be opened only by adults to avoid burns. —Cheryl Grimes, Whiteland, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 min./cake
- 6 teaspoons butter
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 canned pineapple slices
- 6 maraschino cherries
- 6 individual round sponge cakes
- Place 1 teaspoon butter in 1 side of sandwich iron. Hold over fire to melt; remove from fire. Carefully sprinkle 1 tablespoon brown sugar over melted butter. Top with pineapple ring; add cherry to center of pineapple. Top with cake (flat side up); close iron.
- Cook pineapple side down over a hot campfire until brown sugar is melted and cake is heated through, 5-8 minutes. Invert iron to open, and serve cake on an individual plate.
Test Kitchen tips