Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes1 dozen jumbo cupcakes
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 slices pineapple, drained
- 12 maraschino cherries, well drained
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whipped topping, optional
- Line the bottom of 12 greased jumbo muffin cups with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat; stir in brown sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Spoon 1 tablespoonful into each muffin cup; top each with a pineapple slice and a cherry.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thickened and lemon-colored. Beat in the oil, sour cream and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely. Garnish with whipped topping if desired.
Feb 27, 2018
Very moist cupcakes!!!!!
Aug 4, 2017
I love this recipe! Turned out perfectly. I was out of cherries and didn't want to make a run to the store so I used craisins to sprinkle in with the pineapple...perfect and a great flavor with the pineapple! The cake part was light and just moist enough...
Oct 18, 2015
These turned out disgusting! I thought 1 cup of oil couldn't be right but did it any way! they didn't raise at all and tasted so horrible I threw them away! what a waste of 2 hours!
Apr 6, 2015
I made these for our Easter brunch and they are delicious! Easier to make than I first thought, too. I made mine in the jumbo muffin pans and called them pineapple upside down muffins. I had enough topping and batter for 13 jumbo muffins which was a nice surprise--a baker's dozen of these is a good thing indeed!
Mar 17, 2015
Very easy for individual servings
Mar 5, 2015
These are delicious!
Feb 27, 2015
I do make these all the time with the yellow cake mix. I just replace the water it calls for with the pineapple juice from the can. Remember these are JUMBO cupcakes so the nutritional facts will be higher. I always use regular cupcake pans. If you use the pineapple rings you may have to cut them to fit the reg size pans. I have also used pineapple tidbits and crushed pineapple. All work just fine.
Feb 20, 2015
Love this !!!!!
Feb 18, 2015
NanyCarol you sure can, I use canned in this recipe and it's wonderful.
Feb 17, 2015
Can you use canned pineapple instead of fresh? I'm diabetic, but I would certainly try 1/2 of one! You don't have to eat the whole recipe!!!