Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes1 dozen jumbo cupcakes
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 12 maraschino cherries, well drained
- 3 large Eggland's Best eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whipped topping, optional
- Line the bottom of 12 greased jumbo muffin cups with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat; stir in brown sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Spoon 1 tablespoonful into each muffin cup; top each with a pineapple slice and a cherry.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thickened and lemon-colored. Beat in the oil, sour cream and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely. Garnish with whipped topping if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 602 calories, 29g fat (9g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 27, 2018
Very moist cupcakes!!!!!
Aug 4, 2017
I love this recipe! Turned out perfectly. I was out of cherries and didn't want to make a run to the store so I used craisins to sprinkle in with the pineapple...perfect and a great flavor with the pineapple! The cake part was light and just moist enough...
Oct 18, 2015
These turned out disgusting! I thought 1 cup of oil couldn't be right but did it any way! they didn't raise at all and tasted so horrible I threw them away! what a waste of 2 hours!
Apr 6, 2015
I made these for our Easter brunch and they are delicious! Easier to make than I first thought, too. I made mine in the jumbo muffin pans and called them pineapple upside down muffins. I had enough topping and batter for 13 jumbo muffins which was a nice surprise--a baker's dozen of these is a good thing indeed!
Mar 17, 2015
Very easy for individual servings
Mar 5, 2015
These are delicious!
Feb 27, 2015
I do make these all the time with the yellow cake mix. I just replace the water it calls for with the pineapple juice from the can. Remember these are JUMBO cupcakes so the nutritional facts will be higher. I always use regular cupcake pans. If you use the pineapple rings you may have to cut them to fit the reg size pans. I have also used pineapple tidbits and crushed pineapple. All work just fine.
Feb 20, 2015
Love this !!!!!
Feb 18, 2015
NanyCarol you sure can, I use canned in this recipe and it's wonderful.
Feb 17, 2015
Can you use canned pineapple instead of fresh? I'm diabetic, but I would certainly try 1/2 of one! You don't have to eat the whole recipe!!!