Mini Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and butter until blended. Spoon into 24 greased muffin cups. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice; spoon pineapple into prepared cups. Place a cherry half cut side down in the center of each.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and reserved pineapple juice. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Spoon over pineapple, filling each cup three-fourths full.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 184 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Aug 9, 2015
Very good, and really like the individual servings... Would be great to take camping. I do think next time I will be sure and have whipped topping on hand though.
Jul 12, 2014
My wife will be surprised that I got this dessert. This is my first since my retirement. I made 24 mini molds and 6 regular. I had too much cake mixture that I can throw. She eats a few and the rest will be for me. Sorry for my English because I have to take a translator.
May 28, 2014
Oh my gosh, are these good!!!! Next time, I'm going to wait and put the cherries on after I take them out of the pan, just to make them prettier. Mine didn't quite look like the picture, but oh are they good!!!!!
Apr 26, 2014
I like the fact that this recipe makes individual servings. It is perfect for barbecues and picnics. I used whole pineapple rings. They were just a little too big to it in the muffin cups, so I removed a piece from each ring to fit into the muffin cups. April 20th is National Upside Down Cake Day.
Oct 18, 2011
Took these to a church fundraiser and everyone wants the recipe. Easy to make too.
Sep 21, 2011
I haven't tried it yet but very excited to try this recipe - however, I have a question. As you say the recipe is diabetic friendly - could you use the sugar free cake mix? I think I will try it with that type of mix to assist in lowering the sugar. Any suggestions?
Sep 21, 2011
Haven't made it but looks good!! Nice presentation! @ ylns493p, muffin tins and cupcake tins are the same thing, but do come in a variety of sizes; this recipe uses the standard size (not mini or jumbo). Bake away!!
Oct 10, 2010
These mini pineapple upside-down cakes really look good and I'm looking forward to making them. I do have one question before I make them, and that is: What exactly do you mean by Muffin Pans? What is the difference between cupcake tins and muffin cups in for this recipe? Thank You!
Jun 14, 2010
These tasted great and looked pretty too!!!Very moist and nice size.
Sep 27, 2009
I made these for a dinner with my sweeties family and they were a HUGE hit! I also made a few with diced banana's and I LOVED those!