- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices, drained
- 10 to 12 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a saucepan, melt 2/3 cup butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread in the bottom of an ungreased heavy 12-in. ovenproof skillet or a 13x9-in. baking pan. Arrange pineapple in a single layer over sugar mixture; place a cherry in the center of each slice. Sprinkle with pecans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add alternately to batter with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Carefully pour over the pineapple. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes for skillet, 50-60 minutes for baking pan. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 509 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 467mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 22, 2019
This cake is excellent. I used almonds instead of pecans and pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon and nutmeg. Once flipped, the cake is very impressive. Delicious and a show stopper. I will definetly make this again and again.
Nov 6, 2019
Apr 19, 2019
The topping was very tasty but the cake part itself was disappointing.
May 27, 2018
Never made a pineapple upside down cake but this was hands down delicious! Added to my personal recipe collection.
Aug 23, 2017
This was very good. I left the nutmeg out.
Jul 12, 2017
We love this cake!! It's the best upside down cake I have ever tasted!!
Jan 30, 2016
Hubby loved it! I did 9x13 cooked in 50 minutes
Nov 1, 2014
I recall preparing this recipe and it's excellent. I did make adjustments to the recipe by using 8 maraschino cherries, 1 tsp. each baking soda and salt. I used soured milk by adding 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar to the amount of milk stated in this recipe. I also used a 10" iron skillet OR in a pinch, a 13x9x2" baking pan. I'd used 1-1/3 cup butter or margarine, divided.I omitted the pecans for allergy reasons: not everyone is a fan of pecans or else has an allergy to nuts. I'd creamed 2/3 cup of the butter for the batter and melted 2/3 cup butter for the pineapple topping. I recall baking 40 minutes in skillet OR 50 to 60 minutes in 13x9x2" baking pan. delowenstein
Apr 14, 2013
For the most part, this was your average pineapple upside down cake except with spices and WAY too much butter! It was drowning in butter and although I have a sweet tooth, 2.5 cups of sugar and 1 1/3 cups of butter was a wee bit much. My dad said this was good, my mom tried it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to cut the sweetness, my sis didn't say anything (even though SHE'S the one who picked this out) and I thought it was too soaked in butter to really enjoy it.
Mar 22, 2013