Spiced Pear Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large pears, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Ice cream, optional
- Pour melted butter into a 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with nuts and brown sugar. Arrange pears over nuts.
- In a large bowl, cream softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Spread batter over pears. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 419 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 27, 2016
Everyone loved this. I substituted pecans for walnuts.
Aug 21, 2016
Despite realizing at the last minute that I was out of nuts (I would have used pecans, subbed dried cranberries) and molasses (had to sub dark Karo), this recipe was a hit. To the reviewer who suggested that the cake had problems rising because of juice form the pears, I wonder if it might have been that the pears were cold? After getting all ingredients out and assembling the bottom layers, I put the pan in the preheating oven while I mixed the batter. By the time the batter was ready, the pears were warm (not hot) and the cake baked with no problem spots. I actually used extra pears, cut in chunks.
Jan 28, 2016
Delicious, didn't change a thing!
Feb 17, 2015
There was too much juice using 2 pears (bosc), so the middle of the cake never cooked completely. I tried it again using only 1 pear and it turned out perfect, baking it for 40 minutes. Delicious!
Sep 27, 2014
Delicious gingerbread and pears. I used 1/2 light molasses and half dark because I ran out of light. It turned out quite dense.
Apr 16, 2014
Delicious pear cake and easy to make!
Jan 30, 2014
I made this exactly as written except I left the nuts out (personal choice). My husband loved it. I agree with a previous review that I think I'll use another pear next time.
Nov 6, 2013
I made this cake exactly as directed and while I really liked it, I didn't love it. I think the name is deceptive because to me it tasted like a plain gingerbread cake with just a hint of pear flavor. Perhaps I should have added more pears. I was very impressed with how well the cake came out of the pan (I used a non-stick pan). It looked beautiful...I only wish the taste matched the beauty of it.
Oct 28, 2013
Yum! This cake is delicious warm out of the oven and at room temperature. It has a wonderful blend of spices. One of my friends who tasted it asked if there were graham crackers in it.
Oct 2, 2013
I made this last night; it's delicious & great to celebrate the fall. The only thing I would do differently is add a little more of the topping (nuts, butter, sugar) because some can stick to the pan & I will make it in a 13"x9" dish & add a little more to the recipe because the cake went fast with several people in the house; leaving some to want more. **Could use apples instead of pears also**
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.