Pear Cake with Sour Cream Topping
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 can (29 ounces) pear halves, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and lemon zest; mix well. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread batter into a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Slice pear halves; arrange slices in rows on top of batter. Mix topping ingredients until smooth; spread over pears. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 218 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 282mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 10, 2020
I made this cake to use up pears that were ripening too fast for us to keep up with. So - I substituted fresh pear slices for the canned. While I was making the cake it seemed to be missing something to me, so I sprinkled the topping with an equal mix of 1:1 cinnamon and sugar. I'm sure it would have been delicious without it, but I really think it added something. I will make this again.