Pear Cake with Sour Cream Topping
This is a great way to combine bread and fruit for an all-in-one breakfast. The cake is very tasty and the unique topping is simply delicious.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 can (29 ounces) pear halves, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and lemon zest; mix well. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread batter into a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Slice pear halves; arrange slices in rows on top of batter. Mix topping ingredients until smooth; spread over pears. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 218 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 282mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Pear Cake with Sour Cream Topping in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook