Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 medium firm pears
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inches)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- Core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears. Cut 1/4 in. from bottom to level if necessary. Place in a large saucepan; add the water, vanilla, cinnamon stick and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until pears are almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and cinnamon. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Cool.
- Drain pears; place on dessert plates. Drizzle with chocolate sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 187 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 23mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
May 1, 2016
This sauce is dark rich and smooth- tastes lovelyThe reason that I gave it 3stars is because the cinnamon bark disintegrated after the cooking process, leaving nasty splinters throughout the sauce which were hard to fish out.Also, I don't think it needs the addition of cinnamon and works just as well without.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.