After picking an abundant crop of pears, I was looking for new ways to enjoy them. A friend suggested warming them with butter and brown sugar. This tasty recipe was the result! We like them with vanilla bean ice cream, but plain vanilla or cinnamon are also quite delicious! —Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups chopped peeled ripe pears
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large skillet, combine brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally, 4-5 minutes. Add pears; cook and stir until pears are tender, 5-10 minutes longer. Serve over ice cream if desired.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 96 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 33mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Caramelized Pears in Taste of Home November 2018