Caramelized Baked Custards
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a saucepan, heat cream and liqueur until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar until blended but not foamy. Slowly stir in hot cream mixture. Stir in vanilla.
- Place six 6-oz. broiler-safe ramekins in a baking pan large enough to hold them without touching. Pour cream mixture into ramekins. Place pan on oven rack; add very hot water to pan to within 1/2 in. of tops of ramekins.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean; centers will still be soft. Immediately remove ramekins from water bath to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate until cold.
- To caramelize topping with a kitchen torch, sprinkle custards evenly with remaining sugar. Hold torch flame about 2 in. above custard surface and rotate it slowly until sugar is evenly caramelized. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
- To caramelize topping in a broiler, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle custards evenly with remaining sugar. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 5-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 481 calories, 35g fat (20g saturated fat), 283mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 12, 2018
This was a great recipe to get over my fear of making creme brulee!
Jan 27, 2014
This custard is the best! My boys loved crime brûlée but they love this even better. Very easy to make! Now to share this with my co-workers who love creme brûlée as well. Thanks for a simple recipe and not to complex. By the way I didn't use the liquor and it didn't change the taste.