Pumpkin Creme Brulee
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and cloves
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and 1/3 cup sugar. In a small saucepan, heat cream over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Remove from the heat; stir a small amount of hot cream into egg yolk mixture. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in the pumpkin, vanilla and spices.
- Transfer to eight 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- If using a creme brulee torch, sprinkle with remaining sugar. Heat sugar with the torch until caramelized. Serve immediately.
- If broiling the custards, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 452 calories, 38g fat (22g saturated fat), 327mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 24, 2013
I just made this and it is awesome! Based on the negative reviews I modified a few things. I doubled the amounts on all the spices ( ground nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice as substitute for cloves), increased canned pumpkin to 1 1/2 cups and sugar 2/3 cup. It tastes just like pumpkin pie filling now! I also doubled the vanilla extract
Oct 25, 2012
There are 2 reviews (3 now) and all are 1 star and yet the rating up by the picture & title shows 4 star rating! What's up with that?
Oct 25, 2012
I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out horrible. I'm going to try cooking it longer tomorrow but I'm not hopeful that it will help.
Sep 11, 2012
This recipe was awful unless you like bland paste. Don't waste 8 eggs and 3 cups heavy cream. A waste of time and money.
Dec 1, 2009
I made this pumpkin creme brulee for Thanksgiving this year and it was a big hit. Very easy to make, the only challenge I had was getting the sugar to carmalize on top as I don't have a torch. The broiler did an OK job at best! But they were still very delicious!
Nov 18, 2009
I haven't made it yet but wonder what constitutes the rating of 'healthy'. It looks fabulous though. Do you suppose it would work using low-fat or no fat cream or half and half?
Nov 13, 2009
This turned out really well. I took it to a book club and all conversation stopped while people were eating. I think that's a first for our chatty group! Perfectly spiced, not too sweet but very rich.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.