Caramel Creme Brulee
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + chilling
- 4-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 15 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons caramel extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large saucepan, heat whipping cream and cream until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, extract and salt until blended but not foamy. Slowly stir in hot cream mixture.
- Place an ungreased broiler-safe 13x9-in. baking dish in a baking pan large enough to hold it without touching the sides. Pour egg mixture into dish. Place pan on oven rack; add very hot water to pan to within 1 in. of top of dish. Bake until center is just set and top appears dull, 40-50 minutes. Immediately remove dish from water bath to a wire rack; cool 1 hour. Refrigerate until cold.
- Mix brown sugar and remaining sugar. To caramelize topping with a kitchen torch, sprinkle custard evenly with sugar mixture. Hold torch flame about 2 in. above custard surface and rotate it slowly until sugar is evenly caramelized. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
- To caramelize topping in a broiler, let custard stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle custard evenly with sugar mixture. Broil 3-4 in. from heat until sugar is caramelized, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 452 calories, 35g fat (21g saturated fat), 298mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Jan 6, 2019
Everything I expected from Creme Brulee' and more! It is creamy and rich, like a fine custard. It makes a 9x13 pan, so there is plenty! Leftovers can be refrigerated, with no taste in flavor but it will weep some. I just drained off the fluid. I froze my leftovers and it maintained it's rich flavor when thawed. I found the Caramel Extract at a local Watkins dealer. Enjoy!!!!
Jul 31, 2018
Made this for my son and family and it was gone within minutes. Smooth and creamy, but most of all its delicious and easy to prepare
Aug 19, 2017
loving cr?me brule had to try this recipe and it is a keeper - I do not have a torch but saw somewhere that you could use a candle/grill lighter - wasn't as good as using a torch but it did work and I did use the extra sugar. I could have eaten the entire pan of this. Could not find the caramel flavoring so I used maple - but I am on a search for the caramel flavoring.
Jul 22, 2017
My first Creme Brulee, and it was so easy and worthy of a repeat! I did alter the recipe just a bit so it was a little more economical to prepare. I used 1 quart of whipping cream and 1 pint of half & half. I did not have caramel flavoring, so substituted butter rum and next time will only use 2 tsp, as I thought it was a bit strong. But making a 9x13" pan makes preparing this decadent dessert a snap and it serves a lot without the need of individual ramekins. I sliced it with a knife and served it with a spatula and it came out of the dish easily. Two thumbs up with my picky eaters, and it was restaurant worthy!