Caramel French Toast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 3 slices white bakery bread (1 inch thick), halved
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange bread over caramel.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and salt; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 894 calories, 42g fat (23g saturated fat), 422mg cholesterol, 1213mg sodium, 109g carbohydrate (63g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Mar 15, 2017
Delicious and easy! I didn't have 1 inch thick bread or cream so I used a double layer of sandwich bread and 2% milk. I baked it a couple of hours after making it. I flipped the pan over so as to leave as little of the yummy caramel in the pan as possible. My 2 teenage kids liked it, too..
Sep 25, 2014
It tastes like dessert for breakfast. Really good!
Aug 24, 2014
Very good. Will do again.
Sep 2, 2013
This is a great recipe to incorporate into breakfast rotation. Easy to make the night before so can concentrate in the morning on coffee, fruit, breakfast meat to go with it. I thought 2 servings was quite liberal until I saw how fast two people scarfed it down. Pan cleaned up very easily. Only thing I would do different is turn it upside down on the plate (didn't read about that until after breakfast).
Sep 1, 2013
I absolutely loved this recipe, and I wouldn't change anything about it, the flavor was there and it was nice and moist. I even used homemade white bread which just made it even better
Dec 30, 2012
What an incredible treat to have for breakfast on the weekend. Basically, this was SO DELICIOUS that I cannot wait to make it again. Flipping the bread over into the sauce after baking was a great idea!
Sep 23, 2012
I have made this a couple of times. The first time I followed the recipe exactly and the second time I thought I would cut back on some of the liquid, the vote was, follow the recipe exactly, it was too dry without all the liquid.
Jun 26, 2012
Some great tasting French Toast!! I always use 2% milk instead of half & half. We have made it several times and always after it's done baking we flip the pieces upside down so the caramel filling is sitting on top of the bread. My Favorite recipe for french toast!!
Apr 3, 2012
An excellent tasting French Toast recipe.
Apr 2, 2012
Sounds delicious and I am going to make this weekend - I agree with Batemanj, Bettycrocker1961 shouldn't even be looking at this stuff if she is on weight watchers - why would you even check the ingredients and then make a comment like that - DON'T EAT IT!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.