S’mores Creme Brulee
A big bite into a scrumptious s’more brings back sweet campfire memories. This fancy take on the classic treat is perfect for a fall meal and will be adored by young and old alike. —Rose Denning, Overland Park, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur or strong brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar or coarse sugar
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar (1.55 ounces), broken into 12 pieces
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, cocoa and liqueur until blended but not foamy. Slowly whisk in hot milk.
- Place six 4-oz. broiler-safe ramekins in a baking pan large enough to hold them without touching. Pour egg mixture into ramekins. Place pan on oven rack; add very hot water to pan to within 1/2 in. of top of ramekins. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean; centers will still be soft. Remove ramekins from water bath immediately to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate until cold.
- In a small bowl, mix cracker crumbs and butter; set aside. To caramelize topping with a kitchen torch, sprinkle custards evenly with sugar. Hold torch flame about 2 in. above custard surface and rotate it slowly until sugar is evenly caramelized. Sprinkle custards with crumb mixture; top with marshmallows. Using torch, heat marshmallows until browned. Top with chocolate pieces. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
- To caramelize topping in a broiler, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle custards evenly with sugar. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 3-5 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Sprinkle custards with crumb mixture; top with marshmallows. Broil 30-45 seconds or until marshmallows are browned. Top with chocolate pieces. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
Originally published as S'mores Creme Brule in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.