Caramel Apple Creme Brulee
Here's the cream of the apple dessert crop. Fruit, caramel and cinnamon flavors enhance the rich, velvety custard. Served warm or chilled, it's a classic end to a meal. —Cheryl Perry, Hertford, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 1 hour + chilling
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup sugar plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place apples in a microwave-safe dish; cover with water. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Drain apples and pat dry on paper towel. Arrange apples in the bottoms of six 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Top with caramel topping; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar and cinnamon; stir in cream. Heat over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Remove from the heat; stir a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared ramekins. Place ramekins in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle), 55-60 minutes. Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 20 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- If using a creme brulee torch, sprinkle remaining 4 tablespoons sugar evenly over custards. Heat sugar with the torch until caramelized. Serve immediately.
- If broiling the custards, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 4 tablespoons sugar evenly over custards. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 504 calories, 33g fat (20g saturated fat), 280mg cholesterol, 114mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.