Classic Creme Brulee
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 9 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Brown sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the cream, egg yolks and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to eight 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place cups in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- One hour before serving, place custards on a baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 551 calories, 50g fat (29g saturated fat), 402mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 11, 2018
Will only show 2 creme brulee recipes.
Feb 26, 2017
This is awesome recipe. It has turned out prefect every time.
Jan 22, 2017
The taste was fine however texture was gritty. I did strain mixture through a wire, hand strainer but result was not smooth, so disappointing. Any suggestions on cooking,straining,blending to make it smooth.
Feb 23, 2016
This is quite a simple yet complex recipe, I recommend a torch instead of broiling it. The torch will give it a harder crust and make it better overall but not everyone has a torch. I don't use the whole recipe, I half it because it's too much with ALL of the ingredients. I love to make Creme Brulee and this is the only recipe I use for it.Although, it put it that you must Pre-heat to 325, and to get some water boiling after you've cooked the mixture and you're ready to put it in the oven. Unless you read ahead, you wil be stuck having to pre-heat and boil your water when you're ready to cook. These are crucial aspects that can easily mess you up.
Oct 22, 2011
this turned out great! i used half of the vanilla extract and a whole vanilla bean. net time i am going to try either a reduced fat whipping cream or half and half.
Feb 25, 2011
I never knew my favorite dessert was so easy to make at home! This has instantly become a favorite for me and my husband.
Mar 29, 2010
super duper fatty but totally worth it in moderation
Apr 17, 2008
This is the best creme brulee recipe I have ever eaten -- better than 5 star restaurants. One suggestion would be to strain the egg mixture before pouring into ramekins. This makes it extra smooth and creamy. Yes it is rich in calories but worth every bite.