Cranberry Creme Brulee
Dress up classic creme brulee with an easy-to-make cranberry sauce. The sweet-tart sauce compliments the rich, creamy custard. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + chilling
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 10 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 teaspoons superfine sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, granulated sugar, water and salt. Cook over medium heat 12-15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons sauce into each of eight 6-oz. broiler-safe ramekins or custard cups; refrigerate 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate remaining sauce until serving.
- For custard, in a small saucepan, heat 1 cup cream over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and granulated sugar until smooth. Slowly stir in hot cream. Stir in vanilla and remaining cream.
- Place prepared ramekins in a baking pan large enough to hold them without touching. Spoon custard over cranberry sauce. Place pan on oven rack; add 1 in. of very hot water to pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until set (centers will still be soft). Immediately remove ramekins from water bath to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or until cold.
- To caramelize topping with a kitchen torch, gently blot surface of custard with a paper towel to remove any moisture. Sprinkle tops with superfine sugar. Hold torch flame 2 in. above custard surface and rotate it slowly until sugar is evenly caramelized.
- To caramelize topping in a broiler, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Preheat broiler. Gently blot surface of custard with a paper towel to remove any moisture. Sprinkle tops with superfine sugar. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until sugar is caramelized.
- Serve custards with remaining cranberry sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 530 calories, 34g fat (19g saturated fat), 368mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.