Buttermilk Bread Pudding with Caramel Creme Fraiche
“This is simple and incredibly tasty. It always gets two thumbs up!” Caribbean flavors shine in this homey recipe. Serve with coffee, and you might even try it for breakfast! Janice Elder - Charlotte, NC
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 55 min.
Makes15 servings (2 cups cream)
- 8 cups cubed day-old French bread, crusts removed
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 can (15 ounces) cream of coconut
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup pineapple preserves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut, optional
- Place bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, cream of coconut, coconut, preserves, sugar and cinnamon. Pour mixture over bread cubes. Let stand for 15 minutes or until bread is softened. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream, sour cream, caramel topping and rum until soft peaks form. Serve with warm or cooled bread pudding. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 380 calories, 15g fat (11g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Caribbean Buttermilk Bread Pudding with Caramel-Rum Creme Fraiche in Simple & Delicious January/February 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.