Steamed Cranberry Pudding with Butter Sauce
This recipe has become a tradition at our Thanksgiving meal. It is so simple to make and you will not miss those canned versions of cranberry jelly when you have this tasty pudding.—Florence Ladwig, Monroe, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour + cooling
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 cups (8 ounces) cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a bowl, combine water and baking soda. Immediately add remaining pudding ingredients; mix well. Pour batter into a well-greased 1-qt. pudding mold. (If you don't have a pudding mold, use an ovenproof bowl and cover tightly with foil.) Put a rack in the bottom of a stockpot. Place pudding mold or bowl on rack. Add boiling water to 1-in. depth. Cover stockpot and boil gently, replacing water as needed. Steam 1 hour or until cake tests done. Cool for 10 minutes; unmold.
- For sauce, heat all ingredients in a saucepan until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Serve pudding and sauce warm.