Cranberry-Walnut Cake with Butter Sauce
Tired of plain ol' cakes? Give this recipe a shot! Cranberry-lovers will definitely like it because the cake is tart, but the warm butter sauce creates the ideal balance of sweet and sour. Pour the sauce over the cake just before serving. —Katie Kahre, Duluth, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes15 servings (2 cups sauce)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in water. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cranberries and walnuts (batter will be thick).
- Spread into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Serve cake with warm sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 piece with about 2 tablespoons sauce: 424 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 382mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cranberry-Walnut Cake With Warm Butter Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014