Fruit Cocktail Cake with Butter Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) fruit cocktail, undrained
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk or half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, nuts, raisins, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, beat egg; add fruit cocktail. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased and floured 8-in. round baking pan. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. For sauce, combine sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm over the cake. Refrigerate leftover sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 642 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 104g carbohydrate (73g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
May 23, 2014
My favorite since a child. Make sauce with sweetened condensed milk like my mother made~watching carefully as it will boil over or burn quickly. Poke wholes in cake while hot and pour sauce over and in. Absolutely delightful!
Apr 5, 2011
I have made this twice so far and we enjoy it very much. The last one made two days ago was with tropical fruit. I live in Ireland and love the Cooking For Two Site. Thank you again for this wonderful recipe which I will continue to make again and again.
Feb 26, 2010
I have made this and it was absolute delish.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.