Cranberry-Orange Cake with Lemon Glaze
I used cranberries for decorations in a wedding, then challenged myself to find a way to use up the surplus. This pretty, super moist cake with cranberries in the batter and sometimes, sugared ones on top, was the result! —S. Jade Klope, Paducah, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- SUGARED CRANBERRIES (OPTIONAL):
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- If desired, for sugared cranberries, heat corn syrup in microwave until warm; gently toss cranberries in syrup, allowing excess to drip off. Toss in sugar to coat. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place cranberries in a 15x10-in. baking pan; sprinkle with sugar. Bake until soft and bubbly, 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool to room temperature.
- Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice, beating well after each addition. Stir in cooled cranberries.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs, 45-55 minutes. Cool in pan 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, butter and lemon juice until smooth. Brush over cake. Cool cake completely. If desired, serve with orange slices.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 413 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Orange Bunt cake with Lemon Glaze in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.