Orange-Glazed Sponge Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 6 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 unpeeled orange, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar and beat until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in orange juice and zest. Sift together flour and salt; add to batter. Beat until smooth. In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. While beating, add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoons at a time. Beat until stiff. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter; then fold in remaining whites. Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan, smoothing top. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Invert pan over a narrow-neck bottle to cool.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine water, chopped orange and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook until very thick and almost all the water has evaporated. Remove from the heat and blend in confectioners' sugar and butter. Run a knife between the pan and cake. Turn out onto a platter. Spread warm glaze over the top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 282 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 29, 2014
Excellent cake. I made this cake for New Year's dinner. My family loved it. Although I used half the amount of sugar in the cake, the orange glaze added extra sweet and flavor. Perfect! It's a keeper.
Jun 11, 2010
Love, love, love this cake! I have made it dozens of times and never had a failure.