Orange Tea Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 7 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in orange juice and zest. Add dry ingredients to yolk mixture; mix well.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around sides of cake and remove to a serving plate. Dust with confectioner's sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 211 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 19, 2013
This is a wonderful, light, springy cake. Love the touch of orange taste to the cake. We have made this several times, always with good results and many complements.
May 30, 2012
Are these baking times correct??? I baked it according to the directions, and it sprung back when I touched it so I inverted it onto a cooling rack like it said, only to find that only the outside had cooked and the rest was still a gooey dough! What a huge mess!