Homemade Mandarin Orange Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Drain oranges, reserving juice. Set oranges aside. In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, oil, eggs, orange extract and reserved juice on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For topping, in a bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in pineapple and reserved oranges, then fold in whipped topping. Frost the cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 317 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 10, 2010
I love this recipe. I have been making it for a few years. Sometimes I substitute with a box of orange cake mix and I do not drain the mandarin oranges completely to give it a little more orange flavor.
Jun 8, 2009
You mean fluffy pineapple frosting?