Orange Coffee Cake
My husband and I enjoy country living on our 120-acre farm where we grow corn and soybeans. I often prepare this refreshingly different coffee cake for breakfast or a midday snack.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange juice and zest. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Drizzle with butter. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 277 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Orange Coffee Cake in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Jul 11, 2010
Good consistency and flavor. I used Splenda to cut down on the sugar in the mix and it worked fine. I also used some orange extract to enhance the flavor of the orange. Will definately make this again.