Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + chilling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin pie filling
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cake mix, butter and egg until blended. Set aside 2/3 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- For filling, combine pumpkin pie filling, milk and eggs; pour over crust.
- For topping, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over pumpkin layer.
- Bake until top is golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 319 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 13, 2018
This is a very good recipe! One of my regulars when we want something pumpkin:)
Sep 23, 2014
I found this to be just okay. It was easy to make, but the pumpkin layer is not sweet at all and has a kind of pasty texture. I guess I was expecting it to be more pumpkin pie-ish. My husband put whipped cream on his and said it was good. Not sure if I would make again.
Dec 4, 2013
I suspect something was not quite right when I did the recipe. Although I have re-read it several time, and did not mess up the ingrediants. When I added the cake mix, MELTED butter and egg- it became very batter like, not crumbs. I used a Duncan Hines mix. So, I added a couple table spoons of Bisquick to try and make it more crumbly. I am sure that was a mistake. I am thinking that is should have been softened butter to make crumbs. Oh well, it is ok-but I think it would have been better with a shortbread crumb like texture.
Nov 23, 2013
This is the BEST mistake I ever made! I mistakenly purchased 'pumpkin pie filling' instead of pumpkin puree. I made this dessert so as not to waste the purchase. I'm glad I did! It was a hit. They make a great dessert topped with whipped cream but can also be cut nicely into squares and served on a cookie platter or at a bunch. This recipe works equally well with yellow, butter or spice cake mix. Using a carrot cake mix added extra color diversity because of he little specs of carrots in the mix, looked very fall like. I will be making this "mistake" for many years to come!!
Sep 17, 2013
This was really easy to make. I took this to a bake sale fundraiser at work and it was a big hit - whole pan went for $75. Now they're asking for the recipe.
Oct 7, 2012
let it cool just a bit and then eat it warm with some whipped cream!
Aug 25, 2012
I love this recipe, I make this recipe for my God Son's Boy scotts bake sale and they sold like crazy. Now my family is asking me to make them every year. Thank you so much.
Jul 29, 2012
i'm pretty much a fan of ANYTHING pumpkin, but this one was gone in seconds! Not even a square for me 2 take home =(
Oct 17, 2011
I have made these for 6 years now, and they are a big favorite with our family. Everyone who has tried them loves them!!! My husband's favorite dessert!
Dec 12, 2010
I thought the pumpkin filling part was a bit bland, but these were a HUGE hit at work. I'd definately make them again!