Pumpkin Shortbread Dessert
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min. + chilling
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- Whipped cream and additional ground cinnamon, optional
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and flour; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, salt, spices and remaining sugar. Stir in milk. Pour over crust.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-55 minutes longer or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut into 15 squares. If desired, top with whipped cream and sprinkle with additional cinnamon.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 258 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 27, 2017
Love this recipe. I was out of cloves, so left out the other two spices and used pumpkin pie spice instead. Was delish and an easy dessert to bring to potlucks etc.
Dec 8, 2017
This is excellent! It's really just two pumpkin pies baked in one large pan. If you like pumpkin pie (my favorite!), you will enjoy the convenience of this easy dessert without the hassle of rolling out pie crust. The recipe is easily halved for an 8-inch square pan. Don't halve the amount of cinnamon, though, and the spice amounts will be exactly the same as those for one Libby's 9-inch pumpkin pie.
Nov 16, 2017
I'll be making this for the first time for Thanksgiving and was wondering if it can be made ahead of time and frozen. Thanks!!
Oct 4, 2017
I’ve made this numerous times and it’s never failed to impress! It IS pumpkin pie...but with a shortbread crust which is Delicious! Highly recommend.
Nov 3, 2014
This recipe is great! Easy to make, can be made ahead, and each bite tastes like the center of a pumpkin pie! It also feeds more people than a traditional pumpkin pie, which is nice if you are feeding a crowd. This one will definitely be a repeat in our family!
Jun 25, 2014
Family really like this one! I love the simplicity and that this requires no graham cracker crumbs, nor a traditional pie crust. Keeps cost down. Also in the interest of cost, I made this using a recipe to make your own evaporated milk from instant dry powder, BIG mistake, there was a weird off taste- I definitely recommend using the canned evaporated milk.
Nov 21, 2012
If you love pumpkin pie, you'll love this recipe. I really enjoyed the shortbread crust. This is my go-to dessert for Thanksgiving. It's so much easier than messing with pies.
Nov 21, 2012
No fail. I always make this for Thanksgiving
Feb 4, 2012
Excellent, easy, delicious and feeds a crowd. I call it "Pumpkin Cookie Pie" because you get the best of both worlds with pie and cookie taste. I like to whip my own topping, completely cover the top of dessert and garnish with chopped pecans. A real favorite.
Dec 20, 2011
I am putting this recipe in my favorites. Great time saver one dish not several pies to make. Great change of taste from usual crust. The flavor is wonderful. Thinking about topping with whipped cream and sprinkle with toffee chips
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.