Caramelized Pineapple Sundaes
Whenever we get a craving for a tropical escape, this super simple recipe whisks us away in no time. Vanilla's nice but drizzling the sauce over salted caramel ice cream and taking a bite is just pure paradise. —Elisabeth Larsen, Pleasant Grove, Utah
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat; stir in brown sugar. Add pineapple; cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Remove pineapple with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Bring remaining juices to a simmer; cook until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Layer pineapple and ice cream into six dessert dishes; sprinkle with coconut and nuts. Drizzle with reduced sauce.
Editor's NoteTo toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 469 calories, 26g fat (13g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Caramelized Pineapple Sundaes in Cast Iron
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.