Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, cocoa, oil, eggs and milk. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to egg mixture until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips and 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Spoon two-thirds of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the caramels and condensed milk over low heat until caramels are melted. Pour over baked brownie layer. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over caramel layer; carefully swirl brownie batter with a knife.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Hershey caramels.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 376 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 16, 2018
I didn't think it was possible to go wrong with chocolate and caramel; I made these and couldn't even make it through my piece- had to throw it away it was Disgusting! One star because it won't let me select 0.
May 9, 2016
firefly2025 - You're trying to equate fluid ounces (volume) with weight. That only works for thin liquids like water, milk, and broth. 1 cup of chocolate chips weighs approximately 6 ounces.
Sep 28, 2015
The cooking time is waaaay to long. I baked mine 35 mins and it was overdone. Too burnt on the edges, however the center was delicious! I would recommend checking them aat the 20 min mark. Remember the bottom layer was already bake 10 mins!!!
May 30, 2015
Used 1 can of Nestle Dolce de Leche Caramel instead of messing with caramels. It’s the same ingredients as above but milk and caramels are already combined. Pour the can into a microwave safe bowl and nuke until hot. I found this product by the sweetened condensed milks at Walmart under $3.
May 5, 2015
Delicious!!! I baked it without caramel.After I baked the brownies I covered them with chocolate ganache and caramel.
Feb 19, 2015
I use the quick version: german chocolate mix 12 T melted butter 1/3 cup evap milk - press half in 13x9 pan, bake. In a saucepan, melt caramel 1/3 cup evap milk and pour over brownie mix. Sprinkle choc chips, pecans and put pieces of remainder dough on top and bake again. Absolutely wonderful - rich and delicious. I cut these in small squares... about 1 - 1.5" squares. And yes they freeze very well. These also taste very good chilled, straight out of refrigerator.
Feb 8, 2015
Excellent! Easy to make and tasted great!
Nov 7, 2014
I make a version of this with a chocolate cake mix (regular no pudding added), add 2/3 cup evaporated milk and one stick melted butter to the mix, bake 2/3 as indicated, melt caramels with 1/3 cup evaporated milk and layer caramel, nuts and choc chips. Drop remainder of batter over the top.
Aug 4, 2014
I have never seen canola oil in UK. Is there a substitute I could use instead?
Jun 8, 2014
Easy to do and so delicious
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.