Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, cocoa, oil, eggs and milk. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to egg mixture until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips and 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Spoon two-thirds of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the caramels and condensed milk over low heat until caramels are melted. Pour over baked brownie layer. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over caramel layer; carefully swirl brownie batter with a knife.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Hershey caramels.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 376 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 1, 2019
I left out the walnuts, because my family is not a fan of nuts. I also used caramel bits, because they are smaller, melt faster and do not require unwrapping. I did use 14 ounces (an 11 ounce bag plus 3 ounces from a second bag). My family loved them; even my daughter, who is very picky about brownies.
Mar 12, 2019
Be sure and unwrap your caramels FIRST before anything else if your're by yourself. (Kids are a big help then!!) It takes a long time and your half-baked brownies have to wait awhile as you finish up the filling. It calls for 14 oz of caramels and I could only find 12 oz pkgs. Bulk caramels would be good. I recommend 60 caramels for a 9 X 13 pan. And 1/3 c. of EVAPORATED MILK is WAY LESS expensive than condensed milk. I agree that the time in the oven is too long. Keep an eye on it!
Feb 17, 2019
These brownies are good, and the caramel is perfect. The chocolate is rich and the caramel is a smooth texture. I did taste the oil in these brownies.
Jan 12, 2019
I made this recipe for my dinner party, and it was a big hit. I used chocolate caramels instead of the regular caramels, and I added chocolate buttercream frosting on top. They are very rich, but delicious. You must follow the recipe closely, and bake that first layer before adding the caramel, because the caramel will sink to the bottom if you don't bake it first than add the caramel mixture.
Apr 16, 2018
I didn't think it was possible to go wrong with chocolate and caramel; I made these and couldn't even make it through my piece- had to throw it away it was Disgusting! One star because it won't let me select 0.
May 9, 2016
firefly2025 - You're trying to equate fluid ounces (volume) with weight. That only works for thin liquids like water, milk, and broth. 1 cup of chocolate chips weighs approximately 6 ounces.
Sep 28, 2015
The cooking time is waaaay to long. I baked mine 35 mins and it was overdone. Too burnt on the edges, however the center was delicious! I would recommend checking them aat the 20 min mark. Remember the bottom layer was already bake 10 mins!!!
May 30, 2015
Used 1 can of Nestle Dolce de Leche Caramel instead of messing with caramels. It’s the same ingredients as above but milk and caramels are already combined. Pour the can into a microwave safe bowl and nuke until hot. I found this product by the sweetened condensed milks at Walmart under $3.
May 5, 2015
Delicious!!! I baked it without caramel.After I baked the brownies I covered them with chocolate ganache and caramel.
Feb 19, 2015
I use the quick version: german chocolate mix 12 T melted butter 1/3 cup evap milk - press half in 13x9 pan, bake. In a saucepan, melt caramel 1/3 cup evap milk and pour over brownie mix. Sprinkle choc chips, pecans and put pieces of remainder dough on top and bake again. Absolutely wonderful - rich and delicious. I cut these in small squares... about 1 - 1.5" squares. And yes they freeze very well. These also taste very good chilled, straight out of refrigerator.