Saucy Spiced Pears
We serve these tangy, saucy pears over angel food cake, pound cake or with a little yogurt or vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle with a favorite topping. —Joy Zacharia, Clearwater, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 3 large Bosc pears (about 1-3/4 pounds), cored, peeled and sliced
- Thinly sliced fresh mint leaves, optional
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, combine the first nine ingredients and, if desired, cayenne. Cook over medium-high heat until butter is melted, 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pears; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until sauce is slightly thickened and pears are crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. If desired, top with mint.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 192 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 5g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Saucy Spiced Pears in Taste of Home February/March 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.