Spiced Tea Poached Pears
Pears are among my favorite fall fruit. Prepared in this lovely dessert makes them especially spectacular. Easy elegance at it's best—and that's important around the holidays.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 7 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 9 orange-flavored black tea bags
- 12 medium pears
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- In a Dutch oven, combine the water, brown sugar, cranberry sauce and honey. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; add tea bags. Cover and steep for 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears; cut a thin slice from bottom to level if necessary. Remove and discard tea bags. Add pears to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until pears are tender. Remove pears with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups tea mixture to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the creme fraiche, confectioners' sugar and orange zest. Place pears on dessert plates. Drizzle with syrup and serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 poached pear with 2 teaspoons syrup and 2 teaspoons sauce: 175 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 13mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 5g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as SPICED TEA POACHED PEARS in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.