Candied Pecan Pear Salad
For special occasions, I like to dress up packaged salad greens with sweet pears, crunchy pecans and a slightly tart pomegranate dressing.—Douglas Wasdyke, Effort, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (1 cup each)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds, divided
- 1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 large pear
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 packages (5 ounces each) spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a small heavy skillet, melt butter. Add pecans; cook over medium heat until toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon; cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- For dressing, in a blender, combine 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper; cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- Cut pear into thin slices; sprinkle with lemon juice. In a salad bowl, combine the greens, pears, blue cheese and candied pecans. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining pomegranate seeds. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 252 calories, 24g fat (4g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Mesclun Greens with Bosc Pears, Maytag Bleu Cheese & Candied Pecans in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.